Mr. Gong is a partner of Baker McKenzie FenXun (Shanghai Free Trade Zone) Joint Operation Office (Joint Operation Office), the first of its kind approved by the Chinese government.
Mr. Gong has 18 years of practice experience in wide scope of Chinese real estate matters, ranging from share and asset deal acquisitions, joint ventures, greenfield and brownfield investments and development projects, senior and mezzanine financings, office building anchor tenancies, flagship retail store leases, built-to-suit leases, hotel management agreements and branded residence licensing, construction and fit-out contracts, advice on real estate regulatory and dispute matters. With his legal qualification and working experience in the US, Mr. Gong also leads Baker McKenzie US offices to assist Chinese companies in their US real estate investments.
Mr. Gong regularly speaks at external and internal conferences on cross-border property transactions, green buildings and other Chinese real estate legal matters. He is the co-editor of the Joint Operation Office's real estate publications such as "PRC Legal DD and Opinions Series" and "China Housing/Leasing Reform: News Select."
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a Hong Kong-listed REIT in the acquisition of a commercial property in Huizhou, Guangdong.
- Represented an Asian private equity fund in the acquisition of office properties in the CBD area of Shenzhen.
- Acted for a Hong Kong-listed real estate developer in the sale of interest in a portfolio of residential real properties in Shanghai.
- Acted for a Hong Kong-listed real estate developer in the sale of interest in a portfolio of commercial real properties in Shanghai.
- Acted for a Chinese trust company in the acquisition of an office/serviced apartment mixed-use development in Shanghai.
- Advised a Hong Kong-based real estate developer in the disposal of an office building in Shanghai.
- Advised a Hong Kong-listed real estate developer in the acquisition of a serviced apartment building in Shanghai and a hotel project in Qingdao.
- Advised a US private equity fund on the acquisition, restructuring and subsequent disposal of a serviced apartment project in Shanghai.
- Advised a Dutch pension management company on its co-investment in a portfolio of commercial properties in the greater Shanghai area.
- Advised a US private equity fund on the disposal of a mixed-used office campus project in Shanghai.
Leading Individual (Real Estate and Construction, China) – Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2020)
New York, USA (2014)
Columbia University School of Law (LL.M., Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar)(2011)
East China University of Politics and Law (LL.M. in civil and commercial law)(2004)
East China University of Politics and Law (LL.B. in economic law)(2001)